Saturday, July 26, 2008

Every kitchen should have one of these

A local cookbook. I have a few that I really like - one from the hub's hometown church and one from a small town near my hometown. These are chock full of time-tested recipes and handy hints. Don't get me wrong, I still go to my trustworthy BH&G and Betty Crocker cookbooks when I need to know how to cook fish or a simple pie crust recipe (though, I really should have that one memorized by now), but I love those small-town cookbooks for interesting recipes. Where else can you find a dish called "Hanky Panky"?

This is the one from the hub's hometown church:It was a wedding shower present from my MIL. It has served me well the past five years.

Today, I decided to make banana bread because I had some brown bananas we never got around to eating and needed to thin out my stash of woefully brown bananas from the freezer.

See:
Woefully brown. Way beyond my personal taste for eating. The two really brown ones in the front were the two I pulled from the freezer. I actually prefer using brown bananas that have been frozen and then thawed for banana bread. I don't know what it is, but it just seems to work better.

The recipe (the bottom one):
Can you see the splotches on the page? Yeah, I've made this recipe a few times.

Best-Ever Banana Bread
1 3/4 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed (I usually use three for that extra banana flavor)
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/4 c plus 1T buttermilk (this is what makes the recipe really yummy)
1t vanilla
1 c chopped nuts (optional, I never put them in)

In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, soda and salt.

In another large bowl mix eggs, bananas, vegetable oil, buttermilk and vanilla:
Add flour mix:
Stir until just combined (be careful not to over mix - this can make the bread tough):Pour into greased 9x5x3 loaf pan:
I usually make two pans at a time because it doesn't last long in our house. I went a little nutty (get it, nutty?) with the one and sprinkled some chopped pecans on the top. It's something new I tried.

Bake at 325 for 1 hr 20 min:
My oven runs a bit hot, so I only put them in for about 1 hr 10 mins, and I could have even cut that back - the edges got a bit darker than I like. But there was a THS on E! about Britney that I was in the middle of watching. I mean, what does a girl have if not her celebrity gossip?
Yum! I think the one with the pecans turned out wonderfully. Sometime I'll have to try a brown sugar/cinnamon/nut crumble topping on one.

Now, they're just sitting in my kitchen taunting me.

1 comment:

kmm0305 said...

Mine has 1/2 c. more flour, marg for the oil, and some baking powder. Went through 1/2 of one loaf for brunch. :) What an inspiration you are.