Thursday, July 24, 2008

This old house

I don't know if this means I have to give up my farm girl card, but we didn't have a sprawling old farmhouse on our farm. We had a lovely modern brick and cedar siding ranch that my dad designed and had built when I was about 1.
Well, I guess we did have an old farmhouse, the same one my dad grew up in, but I don't remember living in it. We moved into the new house when I was 1 1/2 or so. The old farmhouse wasn't torn down until I was 10, though, so I do have great memories of exploring and playing in it, even when we weren't supposed to (and finding dad's old stash of contraband Playboys from the '60s and '70s. That's an eye opener for a 10-year-old!)

Our new house was great, though. It had a very open floor plan and a long hallway that ran the length of the house. The area through the dining room/kitchen/utility room was linoleum and great for sliding on in socks. We'd get a running start on the carpet by the bedrooms and see how far we could get into the kitchen area.

We also had a full basement with a pool table, fireplace and toy/play room (with sweet Muppet Show wallpaper
and a ladder going to my sister's room). Unfortunately, when the house was built, proper drainage wasn't installed and we would get water in the basement nearly every year after a good storm. The bonus of that was we had to tear up the ugly carpet leaving the cement floor which made for a great at-home roller rink.

Now, if I had my druthers, we'd have a sprawling old farmhouse with a porch. When my parents got married and moved on the farm, my paternal grandparents moved to another acreage east of town. They had a great old farm house -- two stories with a porch and a bathroom with an old clawfoot tub and a big attic. My aunt and uncle currently live in that house. In our perfect world, we'd buy that house and move there to take over the farm (which may prove difficult as where I grew up and where my parents still live is the main farm where all the feed lots and buildings and important farming necessities are.)

The hub and I have a lot of big dreams, but they very rarely seem to come to fruition. Maybe we should work on that.

No comments: