Tuesday, September 23, 2008

All systems GO!

I accomplished my goal of making it through the weekend the hub was out of town without going in to labor, so that means we are Green Light for the kidlet. Actually, I wouldn't mind if this kid waited one more day or two, so it would be a Libra baby and can wear the supercute onesie my sister got me from BabyGAP.

See:
Supercute.

I was very grateful that my mom and oldest sister could stay with me for the weekend, Just In Case. As my other sister has mentioned before, we have the best parents in the world. They are always ready to come at a moment's notice if we need them, and sometimes even when we don't, just because they want to see us (or their grandkids. More likely their grandkids).

We (and by we I mean my mom and sometimes me) got a few things accomplished around the house: picked up and organized a bit in the nursery (which is still crammed with stuff that needs to go to the bathroom or is leftover from the bathroom); took three bags of old things to Goodwill; cleaned a bit in some of the other rooms; and made two meals to have in the freezer for when the kidlet does come (mmmm... hamballs).

I know my oldest sister means well, and she is my sister and I do love her, but sometimes I seriously wonder if we share the same genetics. She spent the weekend either 1) on the computer Facebooking or playing online games, 2) reading and/or watching TV, and 3) poking and messing with my belly trying to get the kidlet to move. Granted, she did keep the kiddo occupied for the better part of the weekend, and that did help a lot, but there were times *I* had to tell her to help out mom. My other sister and I think she's going through some sort of early midlife crisis - she's 36 and is just now starting to go out to bars and act like I did when I was in college. She's happy, though, so I guess I can't really say much.

The kiddo was happy because he loves seeing relatives. He even got a double dose - the ILs were there the night before because they went with the hub to Indiana. So not only did he get to have Grandma and Aunt there for the weekend, he also got to see Grandma and Grandpa. And Grandpa is WAY more fun than mom or dad.

That's one of the reasons we don't really like living where we do - we're farther away from family than we'd like. Both the hub and I grew up with family in the same town and they were a big part of our lives while growing up. We'd like to make sure our families are a big part of our kids' lives as well, but it's not as easy when you're 2 hours from one set of grandparents and 3 from the other (which, I know is not *that* far, all things considered, but we'd still like to be closer).

No comments: