Friday, September 12, 2008

The first step is admitting you have a problem

I'm not a particularly good girly girl. I like beauty products, I like clothes and I like getting dressed up - I'm just not always successful at putting myself together like I'd like.

It took me a while to get to this stage. I was in high school during the grunge phase so my daily wardrobe was jeans, boots and button-down shirt or sweater I pilfered from my dad's armoire or picked up a Ragstock. I'm *not* a morning person (in fact I had it timed how long it took me to get from my house to my locker at school and still make it to class just before the first bell - 6 minutes) so often I went with unstyled wet hair and little to no makeup.

That changed when I went to college and joined a sorority. I wanted to make more of an effort (well, kind of needed to if I didn't want to be "that girl" even though I'm sure I was most of the time). I discovered make-up was fun and went to the chi-chi salon in an attempt to make my lackluskter hair *do* something, anything.

I still fail at making my hair look less than bedraggled 80% of the time, but have gotten to the point where I very rarely go out of the house without makeup on. And I've discovered I have a slight addiction.

To lip gloss.

Okay, maybe more than a slight addiction. A major addiction. I swear I have no less than 30 tubes, pots, tins, wands or whathaveyou of lip gloss and/or balm stashed in various locations around the house. I have at least two in whatever purse I'm carrying at the moment. I like them all - plain, flavored, scented, colored, ultra-glossy, matte. If it goes on my mouth and isn't lipstick, it's mine.

I probably have at least half a dozen unopened ones in my catchall drawer that have been there for a few years. I see them every time I open it and think "hey, I should use that!" and then promptly forget the second I close the drawer.

My current go-to gloss in my purse is Alba Pineapple Quench clear lip gloss. It has the great benefit of being made of 70% certified organic ingredients (yay green!) and isn't overly sticky. The staying power isn't always the best, but I also have a tendency to chew off my lip gloss when I'm tired, bored or hungry, which is about 90% of the time. Plus, it smells yummy.

I'm also a big fan of the Smith's Rosebud Salve. I have both the regular and the minted, and prefer the minted only because the powdery floral scent of the regular is a bit much for me (and a certain toddler got a hand in my tin when he was about 18 months and took a big gob right out of the middle, so it's all funky-lookin'). I have the minted next to our bed and use it every night to help combat overnight dryness.

I also had a short-lived affair with DuWop Lip Venom. It's great for giving my lips (which, like my hair, are less than full) that extra oomph. Unfortunately, I lost my tube a while ago (and by a while I mean a few years) and have never gotten around to getting a new one, even though every time I visit Sephora, I tell myself I should.

Do you think there's a support group for people like me? Lip Gloss Addicts Anonymous?

2 comments:

five tomatoes said...

Where does one find this Alba stuff? I am a big fan of eating my lip gloss and it looks mighty delicious!

KAS said...

five tomatoes: I found it at Target of all places - with the "green" products in their beauty/make-up section.