Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you then?

As I'm sure many Americans (and probably many around the world today) are doing, I'm reminiscing what I was doing on this day seven years ago.

I had just started my first "real" job after graduating college and had been getting ready in my tiny bathroom in my tiny 1 BR apartment, listening to the radio when the DJ cut in on a song and said a plane had hit the WTC in NYC and that nobody really knew what was going on. I went to my tiny living room to turn on the TV and just sat on the couch for the next 15 minutes or so, watching the coverage. I called the hub (who was just the boyfriend at the time) and told him what had happened. I finished getting ready for work and drove the 10 or so minutes listening to updates on the radio.

When I got to my job (it was my second day there), it's all anyone could talk about. I kept refreshing various news sites looking for more information. There was a small black and white TV in the back room that was hooked up to a live news feed and we watched as the buildings came tumbling down. It was surreal. We were so removed, yet felt so much heartache for those who were there.

Though I'm definitely a country girl at heart, I do love the excitement and hustle of visiting the city. The hub and I had a chance to go to NYC with a group of friends a few years later and we went to the WTC site to visit the memorial.

It was touching and emotional to see and I'm forever grateful I had that experience.

Last year, the hub and I went back to NYC with the same group of friends and again, we went back to the site and memorial. Only this time, there were construction screens and equipment working and a general air of rebuilding. A very different atmosphere, but no less memorable.
I'm sure when I'm 80 and the grandkids ask what I was doing on that pivotal day, I'll be able to remember it just as clearly as the day it happened (I hope so anyway).

No comments: