Sunday, October 26, 2008

Amateur photographer

Very amateur.

For Christmas last year, the hub bought me a very nice, very expensive DSLR camera. I'd wanted one thinking I'd take all these fabulous photos of the kiddo.

I've always been interested in photography, thanks to my dad. He had an old Pentax SLR camera with a wide angle and telephoto lens that we would take on vacations. He taught me how to use it, with moderate success. I entered the Photography class every year for 4-H, won many a blue ribbon and even had a few go to the State Fair.

In college I took a Photography class (where the aforementioned Pentax camera was stolen. Bummer.) and learned even more.

So I was very excited to get my lovely new camera last year. And then let it sit for the better part of 10 months. I'd get it out every once in a while, but I haven't used it nearly as much as I'd like, or I should, to justify the costs.

So I figured I'd break it out yesterday in an attempt to take some good photos of the kidlet to use for her birth announcement.

Yeah, that wasn't so successful. First off, she wasn't well-rested, fed and happy, which is a must when taking photos of a newborn. Second, it was kind of chilly and she had only a diaper on (I was trying to do pseudo nekkid baby shots without the chance of her peeing on my white tablecloth or black velvet backdrops).

Needless to say, the majority of the photos looked something like this:
Though we did get some interesting looks:
The photo shoot will have to wait for another day when her highness is more cooperative.

The kiddo was more than happy to have his photo taken, though:
He's in his "airplane"

Funny thing, I have a very similar photo of me in a cooler when I was around the same age:
Must be a family thing. BTW, don't you love the rust colored chair and pattered couches? Tres early 80s. My parents had those couches for 25 years before they finally got rid of them and got something a little more updated.

1 comment:

Jillian, Inc said...

I'm visiting via Abnormally Normal. We live in the same city in GA.... I was born and raised in Iowa (but not on a farm). ha! Cute photos..and congrats on the new baby.