Thursday, October 16, 2008

You would think

That being home on maternity leave would give me ample time to do important things like laundry, clean the house and update my blog.

Unfortunately, my darling little daughter has other ideas. She likes to do three things: eat, sleep and pee. So for approximately 18 hours out of the day I'm parked on the couch with the kidlet watching Top 100 countdown shows on VH1 and bad daytime TV (oh and TiVo'ed episodes of The Backyardigans, Thomas the Tank Engine or Bob the Builder for the kiddo).

I'm doing the best I can at breastfeeding, but I have supply issues (had them with the kiddo too) and can't exclusively nurse. I have a supplemental nurser system that I use while feeding to make sure she gets the calories/amount of food she needs while still nursing on me to help stimulate my milk. It's not the most glamorous thing in the world but it's what I have to do if I want her to get any breast milk because I'm not responsive to the pump either. I'm feeling a little better about my lack of ability to nurse exclusively (it was really rough there the first 10 days) but it still sucks to know your body fails at something.

She's also the slowest eater in the world, so it takes her an hour to nurse and then she's ready to eat again in another hour. Pair that with the fact she doesn't like to sleep anywhere but on me and my couch cushion is starting to get a permanent impression of my butt.

Somehow I managed to transfer her from me to the swing without much fuss, which is the only reason I'm able to post now. I should be folding her tiny, adorable, pink laundry, but catching up on internet time took precedence. It's almost time for her to eat again, though, so she'll probably be waking up soon. Then I have high hopes of actually getting to take a shower today and maybe even venturing out into civilization. Crazy, I know...

How can you not love sweetness with cheeks like those!

No comments: