Thursday, December 4, 2008

Grinchy McGrincherson

I'm in serious need of some Christmas spirit.

Even with the snow on the ground, I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that it's December already. I guess spending two months of your life stuck on the couch in your own little world will do that to you.

I used to love Christmas. I loved decorating the house. I loved baking all the holiday treats. I loved listening to Christmas music all day long. I loved how cozy and quiet everything felt with a sparkling layer of snow on it. I even loved the crisp, cold weather.

I still enjoy Christmas but I haven't had the passion for it the past few years that I used to have.

I used to deck my house all out, like this:
I collect Santas and have somewhere around 500 of them (including ornaments). Growing up, we would take the weekend after Thanksgiving to decorate the house. Turn on the Manheim Steamroller, lug all the boxes up from the basement and go to town. When we moved into our own house, I kept the tradition of decorating the weekend after Thanksgiving (only now we have to lug all the containers down from the attic). Around the second week of December, we'd go to the Christmas tree farm and pick out a fresh tree to put up and decorate.

But now, especially with two kids, it just seems like such a hassle to do all that decorating. Last year, with the kiddo being only 21 months at Christmas time and into everything, I opted to not put a tree up and only decorated the mantel, piano and radio - places where he couldn't reach easily.

This year, the hub is making me decorate, though I don't really feel like it (maybe if I procrastinate long enough I won't have to). I don't even want a tree again this year. There's no point - we're never home on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, and I never get my presents wrapped beforehand (half the time I'm lucky if I even have them bought by that time) so nothing gets set under there anyway. My Christmas wish lists consists of gift cards to two stores and two DVDs.

I don't know what happened to my Christmas spirit, but I'd like some back, please.

No comments: