Saturday, December 13, 2008

Operation Christmas Spirit: Phase Three

I used to sent out regular Christmas cards like everyone else. Nice, boxed cards you could buy at Target or Hallmark, and put in a letter detailing what we'd done the previous year.

Then, when the kiddo was born, I decided to do a photo card. Of course, with the resources I had at hand at my job, I couldn't do a plain one. I had to make it creative.

This is how the first one turned out:
You will not believe how many photos I had to take of him holding those letters to get three [halfway] decent ones. I think it was somewhere around 150. He wasn't exactly in a cooperative mood. And I don't think the kiddo appreciated the sweater as much as I did.

I'd seen some cute pictures using strands of Christmas lights, so the next year I'd decided to try something like that. That photo session was much more abbreviated due the kiddo not wanting to sit down for more than 3.2 seconds. I got maybe 7 photos total last year, and did some fanangling in Photoshop to make it more like I'd envisioned:
You can't even tell, though. That's the beauty of Photoshop. Those are LED lights, too, so I didn't have to worry about them getting hot to touch.

This year I didn't have any great ideas. And it's hard to come up with something that both a 2.5-year-old and a 2-month-old can "do" for lack of a better term. Thankfully, the kiddo loves his baby sister and I figured just a simple picture of him holding her would work just fine. And it did:
He's making kind of a goofy face, but hey, he's almost always making kind of a goofy face. He's just keepin' it real, yo. I just hope snapfish can get them done on time. Our letter will be fairly short this year because, really, the only thing of note that happened during the year was the kidlet's birth.

I've also been tasked with making the Christmas card for my sister the past few years. But I'll let her share those if she wants. Oh the joys of being the family member with access to graphic design programs.

I have high hopes of making some poppyseed bread and maybe even gingerbread men today. Hopefully the chitlins will cooperate (or I can make the hub watch them for a few hours while I bake).

No comments: