Sunday, December 21, 2008

Ten HUT!

I have a small army of gingerbread men hanging out on my dining room table, waiting for their frosting to dry so they can be put away in their barracks (and by barracks I mean tupperware) until I'm ready to either eat them or give them away.

I finally did more Christmas baking today. I'd been putting it off and putting it off because it's kind of a hassle to attempt to roll, cut and bake 8 or so dozen cookies with two little ones vying for your attention.

And I was just feeling really lazy.

But the hub entertained the kiddos at various times today so I could get the dough made and the cookies baked.

I made [yet to be frosted] sugar cookies, gingerbread men and peppermint bark. So the peppermint bark isn't technically a cookie, nor is it baked, but it does require the oven to melt the chocolate, so it's close enough.

The sugar cookies I make is the same recipe my mom used while growing up, and the same recipe my sister uses (at least I think she does). It's a recipe my mom's mother had, and she got it from someone else. My mom's recipe card is titled "Gen. Heald's grandmother's sugar cookies" so the entire time I was growing up, I thought it was some old recipe passed down from a Civil War general or something. Come to find out, when my grandma wrote out the recipe for me it's actually Genevieve Heald. Huh. I like my imaginary origin better.

It's a slightly unique recipe, because there's nutmeg in the dough which adds a nice flavor. It's what I grew up with, so it's what I like, anyway (though, really, I'm never one to turn down a good frosted sugar cookie. Or any cookie for that matter.)

The gingerbread recipe is straight outta Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. It's tasty and easy, so I stick with it.

Only the gingerbread men are decorated, though. I figured that 11pm was a tad too late to start frosting and decorating the sugar cookies. Those will have to wait until tomorrow. I need to bake another batch of poppy seed bread and make super easy peanut clusters. Some of those, along with the things I made today, will go to the kiddos daycare. I'll also make up a few plates to take to friends of ours, just because.

You know, I thought I might start losing some of the baby weight once I went back to work and wasn't eating all the live long day. You would think I would know better; I can never control myself around the holidays - there's just too much good stuff to eat.

Oh well, January 1 isn't too far away. I can work on the diet then.

1 comment:

kmm0305 said...

I did poppy seed bread yesterday and managed to get all the loaves out of the can this time--woo hoo! And I did peanut clusters, but I don't like the peanuts I used. We baked the sugar cookies, but will have to frost them today as well. Save a few of those gingies and bring them over here!