Sunday, January 25, 2009

A few minutes

While the kiddo is playing with the hub and the kidlet is entertained by the mirror while doing tummy time.

I am extremely grateful that I have such an understanding and generous employer who lets me take half days all week so I can stay home with my sick kiddo.

She was feeling much better by the end of the week, though, don't you think?
She'll be 4 months in a week and she's finally starting to show us her personality. I won't lie, I was somewhat concerned for a bit when she wasn't smiling much (I know my sister will laugh at me for that), but now we're privvy to the wide open, gummy-mouthed smiles and high-pitched squeals of joy.

So, because I was only at work for half days all last week and actually had to do, well, real work, I wasn't able to do some of the things I'd wanted for my blog. Like update it. Or do a Friday Favorite (though, honestly, I didn't really know what I would post about on Friday, anyway). Or work on some new design elements and make it all purty-like.

I thought back and figured out that I haven't had a full week at work since maybe the second week of December, if even then. I've either had days off for holidays, sick kids, closed daycare or a combination of those. I'm hoping to make it all week next week.

Because even though I do have a very generous and understanding employer, I also feel extremely guilty for having to take so much time off, especially after I had just taken two months for maternity leave.

So how I make up for it, in my mind, is to not take all my vacation time for the year. I figured it out - I have roughly 20 days off for vacation/personal time. Sick days aren't counted unless they become excessive. This year I have plans to take off approximately 6 days here and there throughout the year for vacation, with another 2-3 potential days for the times when daycare has an inservice or I need to clean the house before a big birthday party. That means I'll only have probably used up half my vacation time by the end of the year. We don't accrue vacation days, if you don't use it, you lose it. So I'll lose it, but that's okay. It'll all even out in the end.

No comments: