Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hello 30s!

Today is my birthday.

I'm 30.

I'm sure some of you are laughing at me, saying "but you're just a mere baby!" but turning 30 seems strange.

30. It makes me sound so much more responsible than I feel.

I will miss my 20s. My 20s and I had some very good times. Maybe too good, at some times. We did some memorable things:
  • lived in London, England, for a summer
  • met my husband
  • took a major road trip with my BFF from college to a bowl game
  • graduated college and moved out on my own
  • got married
  • got a dog
  • traveled (NYC twice, Seattle/Portland, Shreveport, London, Phoenix, Indianapolis, Minneapolis and various other small cities and towns along the way)
  • had a son
  • had a daughter
Unlike my teens , I rather liked my 20s (and seriously, does *anyone* like their teens, except in ridiculously cheesy teen movies?). It was fun. It was [mostly] spent free and unfettered. Until I was 27 and had the kiddo, we were free to do almost whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. It's doubtful we'll have that kind of freedom again until one of us qualifies for AARP, if even then. Sure, there were definitely some not-so-memorable (or memorable in a bad way) times, but on the whole, it was a good decade.

But, now, I'm 30! And I have no clue what this decade has in store. I'm sure it'll be great - watching the kids grow and change, and maybe even add a third to the mix at some point. We'll hopefully finalize once and for all where we'll live for probably the rest of our lives. Maybe I'll even figure out what I'm going to be when I grow up.

After some coaxing from the hub (and pausing Thomas the Tank Engine playing on the TiVo), the kiddo finally wished me a "Happy Birthday!" followed by a big hug :) If my 30s are filled with more moments like that, I don't mind getting older.

2 comments:

Two Little Lambs said...

I have a gift for you!

Mom on the Run said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

I think my favorite age was 28. Then later it was 36 (not too old, not too young).

Now....I feel ancient! I had my driver's license when you were born!