Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Mom Chop

I'm rather fickle when it comes to my hair. I'm continually in a cycle of Grow It Out/Cut It Off.

Currently, I'm in my Grow It Out phase. But I'm quickly starting to rethink that now that I have a 3.5-month-old who tends to grab a hunk in her chubby little fist and hold on to it for dear life.

It doesn't even matter if I have it pulled up into a ponytail. She'll find the one piece that has inevitably fallen out and hold on fast to it. She often has strands of my hair woven between her fingers after I pry the death grip. It doesn't help that I've hit the massive post partum shedding phase and wonder how I have any hair left at all.

So there are days when I'm sorely tempted to call my hairdresser and just say CUT IT OFF PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD (that would usually be when she has a firm hold and is yanking my head around. The kidlet, she strong. We're contemplating baby weight lifting. Or maybe not. But she is insanely strong. And the grip, the grip! Yikes!)

I posted my hairstory here. While I don't know if I would ever go as short as I did in college (holy cow that was a complete PITA to grow out!) there is a small part of me that is begging for a haircut, for the sake of my scalp.

But right now the larger part is saying "it took forever to grow it out this long, just keep going!"

It's a battle royale! Well, not really, but it is a little mental tug-of-war. The only down side to getting it cut is that I actually have to think about styles and actually fixing it in the morings. It's so nice to be able to just pull it back if I need to get ready quickly in the morning.

But for now, I guess I'll just suffer through it.

No comments: