Thursday, February 5, 2009

12ish down

And a lot more to go.

That's approximately how many pounds I've lost since the beginning of the year thanks to my iPod boyfriend and my favorite app LoseIt.

I realize that's pretty good. Okay, that's pretty darn good.

But I still have a long ways to go.

I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I've mentioned before that I was the "fat girl" growing up. I lost some in middle school, lost more in high school, gained it all back in college, lost it before my wedding, gained it back, lost it and then gained it back with both kids.

It's hard. I hate having to limit what I eat, but that's the only thing that works. I actually don't mind working out, but my favorite activity is walking and that's a leetle difficult to do when it's 0 degrees and you don't have a treadmill. Or room for a treadmill. Or time to walk on a treadmill. Or could even stay awake on a treadmill if you had the room or time to be on one.

I am a World Champion Power Walker. I started walking in high school. Every day after school -- provided I didn't have any other extracurricular activities -- I'd walk the 2.5 miles around my home town (it was a small town!). I did it even more frequently during the summer when it was nice out. I found a route to walk in college (though I actually went to the Rec, um sometimes, in college and did a lot of walking around campus for classes). I found routes to walk when I moved here.

Actually, I love walking where we live now. We live in an older area of our city with grand homes (ours is not one of those grand old homes, though it is older) and hilly, curvy streets. There's a great city park only about 6 blocks from our house that has a great path behind it. From about April until October I would be out at least 4-5 days a week, provided it wasn't raining, walking anywhere from 2-4 miles, usually with the kiddo in the stroller and dog trailing along (and by trailing along I mean stopping every 2.3 seconds to sniff every. little. thing. Annoying.).

So I'm down 12, which is good, but I'm starting to stall. Even with my handy dandy app, it's starting to get boring eating the same things every day. Limiting myself to XXXX calories every day. Passing down that cookie (which is getting more difficult) because that would put me over. If I could (would?) just exercise, then I could add a few treats here and there in my day, but it's so haaaard! I can't get up early to exercise. Okay, I probably could, but the resulting lack of sleep would not endear me to the hub or my coworkers. I could exercise once the kids go to bed, but that's when I do the important things like wash dishes, fold laundry and catch up on my trashy TV.

We have a membership to the hub's work rec center, but it's totally inconvenient for me to go. I wouldn't mind working out over my lunch hour, but it would take me 10-15 minutes to get there, 5 to change, 5 more to change out of my sweaty clothes (better make that 10, I should probably put on another coat of deodorant and touch up the makeup) and then another 10-15 to get back to work. That leaves me with, what, 15 minutes to exercise? Not worth it.

I do walk the dog over lunch when it's warm (read: more than 40 degrees) but those days are few and far between from November to March.

And soon it will be the beginning of Lent, which means the beggining of Easter candy in the stores, which means the best candy in the world will be taunting me from the shelves:
Cadbury Mini Eggs. Yum.

I still have more than 30 pounds to go to hit my goal weight. I know I can do it, I know I will do it. It's just going to take some determination.

No comments: