Saturday, February 7, 2009

Friday Favorite (only a day late)

I'd meant to do this yesterday, but kept getting distracted by other things like work and browsing sephora.com.

So just pretend it's Friday, okay? Don't we all like to pretend it's Friday? I thought for sure it was Friday twice this week.

Anyway, today I bring you one of my favorite authors: Neil Gaiman.

I was introduced to him by a friend in high school through the Sandman graphic novel (okay, comic book) series. It appealed to the teenage angst in me. I'd always enjoyed mythology and I thought the way he wove the stories together with various myths and legends was cool. (Now I can appreciate it on a more adult, academic level, but at the time, it was just cool). I just knew I really liked it.

After high school I discovered Gaiman wrote books, too (which were much more acceptable than comic books at the time). So I bought what I could and read them. Over and over.

One of my favorites is Good Omens that he cowrote with Terry Pratchett. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that he's British, but I enjoy his "voice" and style of writing.

For the past few Christmases, the hub has bought me the Absolute Sandman series. These are the original Sandman comics re-inked, reworked some and bound into a large hardcover book with cover artwork from some of the original Sandman artists. Reading them reminded me why I started to like Neil in the first place.

I know he won't appeal to all - it can be a bit Goth and dark at times - but I definitely enjoy his work.

No comments: