Friday, February 27, 2009

Friday Favorite

I've been home the past three days with a poor kidlet who has diapers too disgusting to describe in a public forum. Let's just say we've done a lot of laundry and she's had at least one bath a day.

Yesterday I got a hankerin' (yes, I said hankerin') to make cookies. I don't think I've baked since Christmas, which I'm sure my husband thinks is unfortunate. (But I'm down 15 lbs now! So something is working!)

Today I couldn't stand it any longer. I finally decided I would break down and make Monster Cookies.

I am not picky about my baked goods. As long as it doesn't have anise in it, it's good in my book(and even then, if it's a small amount, I still might eat it). My paternal grandma used to have chocolate chip cookies readily available in a plastic bucket at her house. I would always have at least one (or two, or three) when I was there. (Grandma also cautioned me that if I ate too many cookies, I would get fat, which is true, but I ate them anyway, becuse they're cookies!)

Monster Cookies are about absolute perfection, though. They're about four different kinds of cookies all rolled into one (maybe that's how it got its name? Or it could be the fact that almost every Monster Cookie recipe I've found makes a MONSTER batch). Peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chips, M&Ms. It's just so tasty!

But in every single recipe book, save one, the recipe for Monster Cookies is massive. We're talking like a dozen eggs, two pounds of brown sugar, a drum of peanut butter (okay, maybe not that much, but it's a lot). That's a big batch of cookies. And I'm sure if I were more mathmatically inclined, it wouldn't be that difficult to split the recipe in half, or even in fourth. But I'm not so good with the numbers, so I appreciate that someone already did it for me.

It's from a recipe book the hub and I got as a shower/wedding present. It's all recipes from a family that is from around where he grew up. It's a really good recipe, too (I won't mention it's actually the only recipe for Monster Cookies I've ever used).

Monster Cookies
1c white sugar
2c brown sugar
1/2 c margarine
3 eggs
1 1/2 c peanut butter
1/2 t vanilla
1 c flour
2 t soda
1 c chocolate chips
1 c M&Ms
3 1/2 c oatmeal

Cream sugars and margarine. Add peanut butter and mix. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Add soda, flour and oatmeal. Mix well. Add chocolate chips and M&Ms. Drop by large spoonfulls onto cookie sheet (I like to line mine with parchment paper - really helps them from getting too brown on the bottom and makes them super easy to get off the cookie sheet). Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Of course, I've already had about three cookies (the equivalent of two in just raw cookie dough and one actually baked cookie). But it's Friday, and one day of not doing quite as well on my diet won't kill me.


Don't they look good?

No comments: