Monday, February 16, 2009

*Yawn*

I miss sleep. I miss it a lot.

My family will tell you that I am a champion sleeper. I could easily sleep in until 11 or even noon on Saturdays when I was in high school. That didn't change much in college (though my tendency to sleep in then was more related to what I had done the night before than in high school when it was just out of sheer, teenage laziness.)

I don't remember the last time I had a good, solid 8 hours of sleep. It was well before the kidlet was born. Maybe sometime in 2007? The kiddo didn't sleep through the night until he was over a year old. His little sister seems to be following in his footsteps.

I know lack of sleep is part of the territory with having kids. Just like having to clean up a lot of dirty diapers, sticky hands and the occasional puke (sometimes on you). That doesn't mean I can't fondly recall the glory days of my youth when I would roll out of bed around 11:30, just in time for lunch.

My biggest problem is getting to bed at a decent time. I'm a night person. Plus, those two hours between the kids going to bed and me going to bed is usually jam-packed with picking up, washing dishes, folding laundry and catching up on trashy TV. I have been making it to bed before 11 lately, but then I spend 30 minutes on my iPod boyfriend catching up on Facebook and playing solitaire. That doesn't help the morning situation.

So morning coffee has become a daily staple yet again. So has wet hair inevitably pulled up into a ponytail or clip because those extra 10 minutes in bed that I would otherwise use getting ready for work in the morning are just too tempting.

I'm just glad I have a job that isn't overly taxing on my brain, like nuclear physics or anything related to math. And I still have my Cadbury mini eggs to get me through this afternoon. Maybe tonight I'll get to bed on time.

No comments: