Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday Favorite

I got this book for my birthday this year from the hub:
Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression


I had checked it out from our local library earlier last year (before our library got completely flooded out) and really enjoyed it, so I asked for it for my birthday.

Now, my experiences growing up on a farm were nothing like this book (we had running water and electricity), but I still feel I can relate to many of the things the author writes about. The sense of responsibility, the closeness of family, the ideals of the "simple farm life."

The book is a wonderful snapshot of a lifestyle that's all but forgotten in our fast-paced, I-want-it-now cutlure. The author includes interesting facts and recipes strewn throughout the book, some of which I'd really like to try some day. Some are extremely similar to ones that I grew up with (the apple pie is almost exactly like what my grandma used to make.)

Every day I am grateful for the experience I had growing up on a farm in a rural Midwest community. And I'd really like to be able to offer a similar experience to my children. We're working on getting there. It'll mean some adjustments, but I'm sure we'll make it. I really want to, anyway.

No comments: