Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Hello, Spring?

It was so lovely this past weekend. Highs of 60-70, sunny with a nice breeze. Spring! At last!

And then Mother Nature had to yank it away from us, again. I don't think it's topped 40 yet today. I'm not really surprised. I'm used to it, actually, but that doesn't stop me from complaining about it.

I love living in a part of the country where we have four distinct seasons. And I love each and every one of them. Sure, I whine and moan when it's -15 in the middle of January or 95 with 95% humidity in August, but I love them just the same.

I am so ready for spring, though!

The plants are ready, too. Our yard is starting to show patches of green, the green-red spikes of the tulip leaves are coming out in droves on the east and south side of the house, as are the pale green iris. Even the neglected chives that are stuck in a terra cotta pot are getting tiny green shoots on them. Aside: one of my favorite snacks growing up was to take a big scoop of cottage cheese and then go out and yank some fresh chive from the side of the house. Yum!

I'm ready to open the windows and let the stale air blow from the house.

I'm ready to let the stun stream in and warm our wood floors.

I'm ready to go on long walks with the kiddos. (Our double stroller arrived today, hooray!)

I'm ready for all my plants to sprout and bloom.

I'm ready for warm weather and flip flops (not shorts, though. I can do without shorts. But I will take a good pedicure).

So come on Spring! We are more than ready.

No comments: