Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sick

I'd managed to go through almost the entire winter without really getting sick (despite having two kids with constant coughs and runny noses), so when I started to get the tell-tale scratchy throat last Friday, I knew my time was up.

In about 24 hours it had gone from a scratchy throat to sinus drainage, hacking cough, sore throat and laryngitis. Sweet.

After we got home from the big birthday party on Saturday, the hub and I put the kids to bed, unpacked the few things we'd brought along and then he let me rest on the couch while he made me tea.

Sunday was more of the same - sleeping in until after 11 (he watched both the kids!) and then soup and tea. He even did the grocery shopping Sunday night with success -- although I did have to make the list extremely detailed. When I write down rice, I know what I want, but for him I have to specify brand, style and size of box. Otherwise, who knows what we'll end up with. But he did a good job; maybe even a little better than me because I'm prone to wandering and coming home with a few extraneous things that we really don't need (Cadbury Mini Eggs anyone?)

I even stayed home from work yesterday. I can't remember the last time I was home sick from work for myself. Usually it's with one of the kids. Unless I'm vomiting (or can't talk like yesterday), I suck it up and go in.

Can I just tell you how lovely it was to have the house all to myself? Lovely. I didn't get out of bed until after 1pm. Ate some lunch, did a few things around the house (it really needed to be vacuumed!) and then took a nice, long bath before the quietness was invaded by the dulcet sounds of a 3-year-old and 5-month-old.

I'm back at work today, though. The guilt was too much for me to take off today, too. Besides, I can talk today, even if I do sound like a 80-year-old chain smoker.

No comments: