Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Slainte!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

(I know there should be an accent over the "a" in the subject, but I can't ever figure out how to make it work.)

Despite not having any Irish ancestry (both the hub and I are almost all German, with a bit of Scottish, English and Bohemian thrown in on my mother's side), I've always enjoyed St. Patrick's Day.

I had a chance to visit Ireland the summer I lived in London. I took a four-day bus tour around the southern part of the country with Paddywagon Tours and it was easily the most enjoyable trip I've taken by myself.

The land is gorgeous, the people friendly and the beer delicious (even though I wasn't much of a beer drinker back then, I stuck to cider when I lived across the pond).

Here I am kissing the Blarney Stone:
(I'm wearing a Guinness fleece pullover I had to buy on the ferry over to Ireland because I didn't pack anything warm enough - it was July! I still have that pullover and even wore it this weekend.)

I'd love to go back there someday, and do a more extensive tour. I'm sure the hub would enjoy it, too, if only for the beer.

Our city always has a St. Patrick's Day parade and it's supposed to be 75 and gorgeous for it today. I think the hub is bringing me corned beef and cabbage for lunch (made at a restaurant in Czech Village) and we may even enjoy a beer tonight, though it probably won't be green, and listen to some Flogging Molly. Slainte!

No comments: