Thursday, March 12, 2009

A taste from my youth

When I was around 7 years old, my paternal grandparents moved from the farm they'd been living on for the past 17 or so years (when my parents moved onto the "home" farm south of town) into town.

Though they were now "city folk" my grandparents still kept up some of their "farm habits" - including planting a large garden.

One of the things I distinctly remember eating when I was at their house were ground cherries.
They looked like small (grape-sized) yellow tomatoes encased in a thin papery husk and they were delicious! I would eat them by the handful. Even now, I can still almost taste the sharp tang of the fruit.

One of my favorite books (look for it tomorrow as my Friday Favorite) brought back the memory of eating ground cherries at grandma and grandpa's house.

So I mentioned it to the hub, who looked at me strangely and said "we always thought those were weeds when I was growing up."

Blasphemy! How any self-respecting farm boy could grow up without tasting ground cherries is beyond me. Granted, the hub also didn't like tomatoes for the longest time, so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised, considering they're in the same family of fruits.

The hub and I always talk about what kinds of things we'll grow in our garden when we finally move out to the country. The list includes rhubarb (from the generations-old plants at his family farm), heirloom tomatoes, green beans and peppers. I think I'll add ground cherries to that list.

I don't know when we'll have time to plant or take care of this mythical garden, but it makes us feel good to plant it in our heads, so we do. Anything that brings us one step closer to the country.

3 comments:

Mom on the Run said...

The one thing in the world DOTR will not eat is rhubarb. I don't like it either--I think we both have an aversion to tart flavors because I don't like granny smith apples either.

My grandparents must've had a 2 acre garden (that was just the veggies) and another huge flower garden up by the house. My grandma didn't do any crafts, etc. so we really have no "things" to remember her by, but I'll always remember her garden and what a great cook and canner she was.

kmm0305 said...

Ground cherries=disgusting (as are rhubarb and tomatoes and anything else grown in a garden). And yes, we grew up in the same family!

KAS said...

MOTR - I definitely think rhubarb is an acquired taste. Fortunately, the kiddo likes it already!

kmm - evidently, you took all the picky eating genes when you were born. About the only things I don't like are black licorice and raw apples.