Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday Favorite

I didn't drink much in high school. I can count on one hand the number of times I was drunk (and I'm positive my parents knew about both times even though they never said anything to me). I was too involved with work and extracurricular activities to party. Plus, I hung out with the geeky music/drama/speech crew, which meant I wasn't really invited to many parties anyway.

That changed when I got to college and discovered that it was fun to go out on a Friday night (or Saturday or sometimes Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday). I was never a big beer drinker, but it was cheap and that's what was usually available, so that's what I had. And because I was in college, it was never a "good" beer. It was usually what was on sale at the Keg Shop or local grocery store. So I had a lot of bad beer -- Natural Light, Keystone, Busch Light and even Milwaukee's Best (the Beast).

So I didn't know much about beer aside from the fact it made you want to eat greasy food at 3 am and made you fat. That changed with the hub, though. He introduced me to different beers, and that's how I discovered I actually like stouts.

Which leads me to my Friday Favorite: Left Hand Milk Stout.

I don't remember who bought the first six-pack, me or the hub. I remember taking a few drinks and thinking "I like this." Then taking a few more and thinking "I *really* like this!"

I'm not a beer connoisseur; I don't do things like talk about the head (heh heh, head) or lacing, smell or mouth feel. I just know I like it. It has a good stout flavor with a touch of sweetness. It's not too heavy, so if I want to drink more than one I can. But most of the time, one is enough. I'm not in college anymore, after all.

There's usually some in our fridge, though it doesn't last long because both the hub and I like it so much.

No comments: