Monday, April 6, 2009

I'll take Potent Potables for $500, Alex

I love trivia. I think I get it from my dad. Growing up, he seemed to know everything. Had a question? Just ask dad. If he didn't know, I'd find it out for myself.

I have an insanely good memory, especially for random useless knowledge, and put it to good use in middle school and high school doing dorky things like participating in Quiz Bowl.

Even now, my coworkers usually ask me first when they have a random question. Sometimes they don't even ask, I just tell them. Because I'm nosy like that.

I don't know why I can remember the things I do. I read a lot and that information seems to store itself in the recesses of my brain just waiting until that moment it's called upon. There are some times I would love to go on a game show, just to see how well I would do, but with my luck, I'd end up getting all the questions I don't know.

I'm an avid reader of The Pioneer Woman. I think she's entertaining and funny and a great marketer, intentional or not. For the last week or so she's been having Smartypants quizzes on her Homeschooling section and they have been great fun to do. I haven't won anything, but it's been great practice for my Alma Mater's annual Athletics Trivia Fundraiser.

This will be the third year of the trivia challenge and the third year our family has participated in some form. The first year it was me, my BIL and my dad along with two other friends of my dad. We ended up in 4th place, just out of the prizewinners. Last year it was me, both sisters, one BIL, the hub and two friends of my dad. Again, we ended up tied for 4th. This year we vow to at least place.

So I need to flex my brain and start practicing.

No comments: