Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A little slice of heaven

When the hub came back from his parents last week, he brought two of my favorite things:

home-grown asparagus and rhubarb. Yum!

We've been having asparagus at almost every meal (usually steamed, though I did roast it one night, which was very tasty). And the hub had a request for strawberry-rhubarb pie. So I complied and made this beauty the other night:

My mouth is watering just looking at it!

Here's the pie before I put the top crust on. Look at all that sugary, buttery goodness.

Now it has it's hat on (that's what the kiddo says, anyway)

I never know what to cut in the middle, so I usually just end up making a star. It's easy.

And the finished product:

Pay no attention to my messy stovetop, or cookie sheet I used to bake the pie on. It's not pretty, but it beats cleaning up a charred mess from the bottom of my oven.

Plates? Who needs plates? Just eat the darn thing straight from the pie pan!

The pie crust is from scratch. According to my mom, I make the best pie crusts in the family and I'm the one who usually makes them for holidays. I don't know, I think it's just an excuse for her to get out of making them.

And I'll share a little secret. I use lard. Real lard. In my pie crusts. Personally, I think it gives it the best texture and flavor over anything else. I've used Crisco before, but nothing beats lard.

Last year the hub and I bought a whole hog from one of his coworkers and had it processed at a small locker about an hour north of here. We had them go ahead and render the lard so we would always have some on hand. We ended up with four half-gallon containers of it! We gave one to the ILs, one is in our fridge and the other two are sitting in our deep freeze. I try not to think of what it really is when I'm baking with it, but boy does it make some tasty pie crust!

The pie is already half gone and I foresee myself making another pie soon. I just wish I had a bigger kitchen. Rolling out pie crusts isn't very appealing when all you have is a 2'x2' section of counter on which to work.

No comments: