Saturday, May 2, 2009

You eat WHAT?!?

Thursday night the hub and I made homemade tacos for supper. It'd been a while since we'd made them and it sounded good to both of us.

We didn't have any taco seasoning on hand and actually found a decent recipe online for a homemade taco seasoning, but I digress...

Once the taco meat was done and we'd assembled the necessary fixin's, we sat down at the table to eat and I put together my taco. It went something like this: taco shell (soft), meat, shredded cheese, ketchup, sour cream.

Yes, you read that right. Ketchup.

I think my sisters and I are probably the only people I know who put ketchup on homemade tacos, but that's how we grew up eating them and they just don't taste right otherwise. A poor man's salsa, if you will.

And that got me thinking to some other weird food habits I have. I'm not as strange as my sister (who claims she's never had a salad), but I do have some odd food combinations that may raise people's eyebrows.

Like putting chocolate syrup on peanut butter toast. Or chocolate chips on peanut butter toast. Or M'n'Ms on peanut butter toast. Or really anything chocolate on peanut butter toast. It's like a pseudo Reese's peanut butter cup, kind of.

Then there was the spring break in Panama City Beach where another girl and I ate mustard and cheese sandwiches at least once a day. Sometimes we would throw pickles in there, too. Every once in a while, I'll make one for old time's sake.

Then there's the food things I won't eat. I don't like boxed macaroni and cheese. I love homemade stuff, but do not like the electric yellow, powdered cheese boxed kind. I think it goes back to watching my sister eat it when I was growing up and adding sliced hot dogs and ketchup (again with the ketchup) until it resembled some sort of pasta-related crime scene.

I also won't eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. There's something about the PB/J combination that just does not appeal to me. I'll make them for the kiddo, no problem, but that's about as close as I'll get to them.

And I don't eat raw apples. I love apples any other way - applesauce, apple crisp, apple pie (especially apple pie!), apple juice, even just cooked apples with cinnamon and sugar, but I refuse to eat raw apples. There's something about the texture and skin of a raw apple I can't stand.

I'm sure there are some weird food quirks we're setting up for our children to have. But as long as they don't follow after their papa (my dad) and take a liking to velveeta cheese and molasses sandwiches, I think we'll be okay.

No comments: