Saturday, June 20, 2009

To market, to market

I went to our local farmer's market this morning. It's held the first and third weekends of the month during the summer, in our downtown area.

It's a very nice farmer's market, and I came home with some lovely fresh produce: strawberries, asparagus, kohlrabi and leaf lettuce along with a small jar of creamed honey.

Our downtown area was completely devastated by flooding last year, and it's encouraging to see the rebuilding that's going on. Of course, there are still many places that have a lot of work to be done before they can be used again (the main library being one of them), but it's nice to see the downtown have some life breathed back into it.

There were also beautiful handmade crafts at many stalls, including tons of jewelry and adorable dresses for little girls. I oohed and aahed over a few of them until I thought about it and realized I could make the same exact dress for about 1/3 of the price.

We all were taught how to sew while growing up. Our mom had a sturdy metal Singer sewing machine that lasted her almost 40 years before it finally gave up the ghost. That machine made a good chunk of our clothes growing up along with numerous prom and formal dresses and every single bridesmaids dresses at my and my sisters' weddings. Starting around age 8 or so, we practiced on Barbie clothes and home decor and then moved our way up to simple pieces of clothing usually submitted as 4-H projects. 

My two sisters and I all still sew - though some more than others. My oldest sister loves to piece and make quilts. My middle sister has made minky blankets for her girls and friends' children and other small projects. I have done everything from a t-shirt quilt for the hub 
to dining room curtains. If we ever run into any issues while sewing, we know we can always call up mom and she'll help us out (or, more likely, come down and finish it for us! Thanks, mom!).

Hopefully when we move and have more room, my sewing machine will have a more permanent place and I'll be able to sew more often. I can just see all the cute little dresses and skirts the kidlet will have. Maybe.

1 comment:

kmm0305 said...

Grant will look great in skirts and dresses. ;) Oh, those would be for Maren.