Monday, October 26, 2009

Roasting Pumpkin Seeds

We took a trip to the Pumpkin Patch yesterday and came back with five lovely pumpkins (one for each of us, and the dog).

I told the kiddo we could only carve two into Jack O'Lanterns, which we did. I haven't carved pumpkins in ages, and I'd forgotten how messy (but fun!) it is.

I decided to go all Martha Stewart, though, and save the pumpkin seeds for roasting. It actually turned out to be easier than I thought it would.

First, we (and by we, I mean me) separated all the pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin guts.



After that messy process was done, I took them inside to wash them off.



Don't they look all nice and clean now?

Then, in my big jelly roll pan, I drizzled about 1T of EVOO and spread it around with my fingers to cover the bottom of the pan.

After I did that, I added the pumpkin seeds and tried to flatten them out into one layer as best I could. Then, I drizzed some more EVOO on top and sprinkled about 2t of kosher salt. Then I mixed all that mess up with my hands and respread it on the pan. (I don't have a photo of this part because my camera battery died and I charged it while the seeds were roasting in order to get a photo of the final product.)

The pan went into a 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes. At 10 minutes or so, I kind of shook/stirred/respread the seeds around to make sure they were all evenly roasting.

I didn't think the seeds were quite done at 25 minutes (I had a lot of seeds, plus they were pretty wet) so I gave them an extra 3 minutes in the oven. That was just about perfect, because this is how they turned out.


Very tasty! 



Though these guys may not agree. 

5 comments:

Pam D said...

Beautiful jack o lanterns! Yeah, I think the guy on the right just realized what you did to him.... I think in the Bible they refer to it as "spilling his seed on the ground"...lol! Love your blog..

WinterBlog said...

Yummy...I love seeds! I love your pics!!! Do you have any suggestions? You are a great photographer and pumpkin carver :)

Kari @ p.s. love.love. said...

Just roasted our tonight. Yummy!

Anastacia K said...

ha ha ha..I love how you said "(and by we I mean me)". LOL that is totally my like.
Anyhow I just gutted our pumpkins tonight and thought I needed to go find out how to roast them, and now I don't have to look elsewhere! Thanks!

wherelifebecomesart said...

ugg..dispise it when it puts the wrong id for me. The anastacia K comment was from me. You visited my blog earlier. Thank you for your wonderful comment.