Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Obsession

My current obsession (which means that's what I do at work instead of actually working) is looking at house plans online.

As we're hopefully moving back to my little hometown in the next 4-6 months, we've been see-sawing on whether to build or buy a house. In the country. On an acreage.

There aren't that many houses for sale in my hometown on acreages. Not houses you'd let two troublesome children run around in anyway.

So I've been drooling over house plans instead. We (and by we I mean me) have a list of things we Must Have and things we Would Really Like.

Our Must Haves:
- two-car garage
- open floor plan
- 4 BR
- at least 2 bath, 3 would be better
- large kitchen
- fireplace
- some sort of outside entertaining space, be it a porch or deck or patio

Our Would Really Like:
- finished basement
- high ceilings
- lots of windows
- mudroom with shower
- some sort of separate office space

We'd also like to incorporate some "green" elements to the house, such as recycled wood floors and possibly geothermal heat. 

Our current house is charming. It's 90+ years old, has wonderful hardwood floors, 10' ceilings on the first floor and oodles of character. It also has one teeny tiny full bath and a small kitchen. And no garage. Well, it has a garage, but it's not large enough for us to park in. So it's a storage shed for the lawnmower and snowblower and table saw and all that good homeowner-y stuff.

Part of me is really excited about the prospect of building a new house that's exactly what we want. Part of me wants to throw up because it's also really expensive to build a new house and while the cost of living will decrease when we move, so will our income. Unless I can come up with some brilliant solution for what I'm going to do when we move.

So many things to think about!

1 comment:

five tomatoes said...

Our friends built this house out on her family's acreage and I love it...it also has a walkout basement.

http://www.manitowoccountyhomebuilders.com/pdfs/HOUSE_02.pdf

I was really happy with building because we were able to customize things just so, and it was actually a lot less expensive than I thought it would be.