Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ode to a Crock Pot

Or the more fashionable term nowadays, the slow cooker.




Today was our annual Thanksgiving potluck at work, or as I like to think of it, the annual pre-Thanksgiving warm-up stomach stretch. We had ham, smoked turkey, party potatoes, baked beans, scalloped corn, rolls, potato salad, fruit, apple pie, caramel cheesecake and chocolate chip cookies.

Phew.

As we have no oven and only have two microwaves at work, I brought my contributions (the ham and the party potatoes) in crock pots to heat them/keep them warm for the meal.

It worked wonderfully, even though I had to get up shortly after 6 to finish the potatoes and get the ham in so it would be thoroughly heated by the time we ate. Need I remind you I am *not* a morning person?

About 10 o'clock this morning, the lovely smell of ham was wafting through the office. By 11:30 the potatoes had joined them and I was practically drooling on my computer. It didn't help matters that my desk is right next to our "party" room (and by party room, I mean back office with the big table) so I was extremely close to the food.

I work with some great people, and we always have a good time when we have these little potlucks. Our hour-long lunch stretches an extra 30 minutes or so as we chit chat and give each other some good-natured ribbings.

The other bad thing about having a desk so close, is that the food is generally left out the rest of the afternoon, so I'll inevitably make my way back to the table three or four or five times for a bit of this or another taste of that or a mid-afternoon cookie.

Oh waistline, we had some good times this year. I'll miss you.

No comments: