Tuesday, December 22, 2009

iheartfaces - Christmas Traditions

It's another week off for the awesome ladies at iheartfaces. I like these off weeks, the themes are always fun, you get to post as many pictures as you want, and you always learn so much about other iheartfaces readers.

The theme this week is Christmas Traditions. I love this theme. I love Christmas. And I love traditions!

It's been interesting to try and combine our family's traditions and forge our own for our new family over the last six years. But here are a few of my favorites:


- Listening to Christmas Music starting the day after Thanksgiving

(okay, so technically this is a screen shot and not a photo)

- Buying a real Christmas tree and decorating it one of the first weekends in December

We have kind of an odd spot for it in our living room - next to the fireplace, tucked in a corner in front of a window, It's a skinny spot, which requires a skinny tree, but we also have 10' ceilings, so we like to have a tall tree, too. We've been able to find these Frasier Firs at one of the local tree farms, and they fit perfectly (and smell divine!)

- Baking Christmas goodies to share with family, friends and coworkers



This year, the kiddo decided he wanted to help, which lasted all of about 5 minutes before he got distracted by something else. Oh well, we had fun, even if more powdered sugar ended up on the floor, the dog and the kidlet than the cookies. Mmmmm...... cookies

- Christmas Jammies!



Growing up, we used to get new jammies almost every Christmas Eve, and would wear them to bed that night. Sometimes my mom buys the jammies for the kids, but usually we do. These are last year's jammies. This year the kiddo has cute doggies wearing reindeer antlers and the kidlet has owls in stocking hats.

- Taking a family photo and designing Christmas cards

Every year we get at least one family photo in front of the Christmas tree. This year we took the photo a little early, when we celebrated Christmas with my family a week ago. I then work my Photoshop magic and design a card that I have printed. It's been fun to try and come up with new ideas every year.

- Enjoying some contemporary Christmas movies

I know it's not a cinematic masterpiece, but the more I watch Elf, the more I enjoy it. And how can you not love Love Actually? *sigh*

One tradition that I absolutely LOVE and, sadly, don't have a photo for is
- Making rice pudding on Christmas Eve
This is a tradition that my family started 12 years ago, when we had a [Swedish] Finnish foreign exchange student live with us. (Hej Emilia! God jul önskar din familj! Puss och kram!) We have soup for supper before the Christmas Eve service and make rice pudding that we eat with cinnamon and sugar. Emilia taught us that you should put a hazelnut in the pot before you serve the pudding and whomever ends up with the nut will have good luck for the next year. Then, after we've opened all our presents (Santa came to our house during church for some reason) we'll sit around and have another bowl or two while we check out all our cool stuff. That is definitely one tradition I would love to continue for a long, long time.

I can't wait to keep adding traditions as our family gets older and expands. Stop on over to iheartfaces and check out some of the other traditions people have.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Great photos. Love the elf movie. one of my favs

Emilia said...

It always makes me so happy to hear that you are still cooking "risgrynsgröt" at Christmas. God jul! Puss och kram!