Saturday, December 19, 2009

Serena's Cookie Exchange

I just discovered The Farm Chicks a few weeks ago. I'm a creature of habit in my blog reading. If I don't have it bookmarked, I'll just forget to read it. Lame, I know. But I stumbled upon this one from another blog I discovered while commenting on yet another blog (did you follow that?)

They're right up my alley!

Right now she's having a virtual cookie exchange, how fun! With all the time off I had this week due to sick kids, I was able to make our traditional Christmas treats: peanut clusters, almond bark cookies, gingerbread men, almond poppyseed bread and cut-out sugar cookies.

The cut-out sugar cookies are what I'm sharing in the cookie exchange. I know, everyone has their own recipe for these, but I love the one we use.

Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 c butter (3/4 c better)
- 1 c sugar
- 1 t baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 t cream of tartar
- 4 T hot milk
- 1 scant t nutmeg
- 3 c flour

Cream butter and sugar. Add well-beaten egg, vanilla and the soda dissolved in the hot milk. Sift cream of tartar, salt, nutmeg and flour. Add to wet mixture. Mix well. Roll to 1/4" thickness. Cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes.

My notes: we use powdered sugar when we roll and cut these cookies. You can never go wrong with more sugar! On the back of the recipe card, my grandma wrote: "I got this recipe from a friend - her grandmother's recipe and her family was Swedish. Always used this recipe."


I've never seen another sugar cookie recipe that uses nutmeg, I think that's what makes this so different (and tasty!).

I had some help with these cookies. First, my gorgeous new KitchenAid mixer:




How could I have ever doubted this lovely machine? It easily cut the prep time for these cookies in half. I'm still getting used to using the mixer, but I already love it.

The kids also wanted to assist:

The kiddo helped roll out the dough


And cut out the cookies (he loved the train cookie cutter)


The kidlet didn't want to be left out of the fun.


Though, really, I think she just liked the powdered sugar!


Testing out the final product.


Yum!


The kidlet agreed. I think she ate more cookies than the kiddo did!

I still need to frost and decorate them, and will take pictures and post of the final product. I have it on good authority from Santa himself that these are his favorite! ;)
--------
Finally! Pictures of the frosted, decorated cookies:




Just your average buttercream frosting, but instead of vanilla flavoring, I use almond extract.

No comments: