Wednesday, December 9, 2009

SNOW!

Having lived in the Midwest my entire life, there are two things you can count on: at least one good storm during the winter and everyone to go a little crazy when that first storm hits.

They started the predictions on Saturday/Sunday - that there was a big cell heading straight towards us with the potential to drop 8-10" of snow and winds that would increase until it was blizzard conditions.

Yes! Blizzard!

We've learned to take weather predictions with a grain of salt because, well, weather is rather unpredictable. Meteorologists can only do so much with their models and radars and whatnot. Sometimes Mother Nature follows suit and sometimes she just laughs at you.

This time she followed suit. By noon on Tuesday, the snow had picked up and by mid-afternoon, there were times where it was coming down pretty good. Daycare had decided to close after lunch yesterday and remained so today, along with all the local schools and the hubs and my work. So we had a lovely snow day today!



The plow going down our side street. Yes, that's a car buried under almost a foot of snow!



The branches on the trees are all weighted (weighed?) down.



Almost 5pm and it's still going strong!


One of the drawbacks of living in an older home - the windows aren't particularly efficient. This is the window on the landing of our stairs. There probably shouldn't be frost on the *inside* of the window, huh?

One good thing about having a snow day, the house is now completely decorated for Christmas. I put the finishing touches on the tree last night.

I've been trying to play more with the manual settings on my camera (with not always the greatest success) but I thought I'd try and capture some with just using the Christmas lights for lighting.


Willowtree Nativity set that is on our piano.


Two of probably nearly 30 Santas on our mantel. I have a lot of Santas.


Another Santa. This one is probably a tad dark, but not enhanced in any way.

They're okay. It's hard to hold the camera steady to get some of the low-light shots.

The only way I'll get better is practice, though.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Now.....I agree that you probably wouldn't want to see ice build up like that on the inside of your windows, but it was a beautiful pattern. My husband grew up in Marshalltown, IA. I visited twice (from San Diego) it was the shock of my life. I had never been outside of California, except for several years in Hawaii, so the temp was a rude awakening. It has been in the single digits here, so I'm not a happy camper. I would rather it be 100 degreres than snow.

Farmgirl Chaos said...

You comment about ISU closing spring of 1998, I remember that. It was my freshmen year...2nd semester, and I remember everyone in the dorms going crazy. Loved it! Hope all is well.