Sunday, February 7, 2010

Blast from the Past

This last week the kiddo's daycare was teaching the kids about "Community Helpers." You know, Doctors, Bakers, Firemen, Policemen, Dentists, Ninjas... (just kidding about the ninjas part. The kids were asked what kind of community helper they might want to be when they grow up and one of the kiddo's classmates answered ninja. I got a chuckle out of that.)

Anyway, the discussion last week brought to mind a song my sisters and I had on one of our "kids" records while growing up.

Our parents taught us a love and appreciation of music from an early age. As long as I can remember, there was some sort of music being played in our house - on the radio, on records (and later CDs), and sometimes even on the piano. We weren't catered to as kids, we had to listen to whatever our parents listened to, which was fine with us, we didn't know any different. And my sisters and I have cultivated an extremely eccentric taste in music that ranges from John Denver and Neil Diamond to ABBA and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

We did have a few kids records, though, that we could play as often as we wanted. One was a Sesame Street record that had the "Who are the People in your Neighborhood" song that was running in my head earlier this week.

Another was this gem:
Mickey Mouse Disco.

So cheesy. So chintzy. So very late-70s. But so much fun! I don't know how many times we listened to that record and danced around our living room, but it was a lot.

And you know the best part? iTunes has it in their store. You can buy this gem of a record for a mere $8.91. So I did. And the kids love it! The kiddo asks to hear "Watch out for Goofy" and "Macho Duck" (two of my favorite songs) and the kidlet just shakes her little booty when I turn it on.

The songs are still incredibly cheesy, but it's something we can all (well, me and the kiddos at least, I'm not sure how the hub would enjoy a two-hour car ride of non-stop Disney Disco) enjoy. I haven't found the Sesame Street equivalent of the record we had, but I did buy a fun Imagination Movers CD that the kids and I can all enjoy as well.

No comments: