Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Super Bowl Cookies


I started these babies on Saturday night, but the process of frosting them took half the day Sunday as well. Whew!

They turned out great, though.

On the suggestion of an LJ friend, I used a different sugar cookie recipe than my good, old Christmas Cookie standby.

I used this one from Recipezaar

Kittencal's Buttery Cut-Out Sugar Cookies W/ Icing That Hardens
COOKIES
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt

FROSTING
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (the sugar must be sifted)
- 1 tablespoon milk (adding in more if needed for proper spreading consistency)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (can use 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in place of the almond)
- food coloring (use your choice of colours)

For cookies; in a large bowl combine butter with sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond extract; beat using an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. In another bowl combine the flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the butter mixture until well blended. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.

Set oven to 400°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (do not grease cookie sheets use parchment paper only). On a very lightly floured surface roll out the dough into about 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place cookies 2-inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 4-6 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely before icing.

For the frosting; in a small bowl mix the confectioners sugar with milk (start with 1-2 tablespoons, you will likely need more milk for the perfect spreading consistency). Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until the icing is smooth and glossy (if the icing is too thick add in a small amount more of corn syrup). Divide into as many separate bowls as you wish for different colours. Add in food colouring until desired intensity is achieved. Paint the icing over the cookies using a brush, or dip edges of cookies into icing. Allow to set on waxed paper.

I'd never done the spoon or dip method of frosting, so I decided to use the outline/flood method instead. It worked, and looked okay, but it was definitely time-consuming. I think next time I'll dip or spoon.

I also bumped up the amount of vanilla and almond extract in both the batter and the frosting. I like my flavor!

I could get roughly two (maybe three) cookies from each section of dough I rolled.

They baked up to a lovely almond color, and kept their shape very well.

Who Dat?

Trying out the outline/flood method of frosting. They looked nice, but my hands were sore!

I didn't have any royal blue food coloring, so I had to make do with sky blue.

I thought it was funny how I had them lined up like they were actually on the field. The colts have 12 players, though! Whoops!

After reading Bakerella's post on her Oscar cookies, I wanted to try out some luster dust to give them a nice shine. I don't think I did it quite right - I put some almond flavoring in a little ramekin, poured a little luster dust in that and then brushed it on the cookies. I think I needed less flavoring. You can kind of see the shimmer here.

The blue luster dust made the horseshoes a little more blue,which was nice. I realized later I added too many "nails" but oh well!

The finished cookies! I got about 2 dozen cookies out of this recipe (and they were good-sized cookies, about 5" apiece). It did take two batches of frosting, though. Everyone liked them and the hub only had a few left to take into work on Monday.

I did like the recipe, but I missed the nutmeg flavor that's in my Christmas Cookie recipe. I'll definitely keep this one on hand.

1 comment:

Mom on the Run said...

Cute! I just happen to have that big fleur de lis cookie cutter, too.