Wednesday, May 26, 2010

And Ode to Rhubarb



Oh Rubarb,
Your succulent stalks
Of red and green
Beckon in Springtime
Bake with me!
You cry

Okay, that was pretty bad. Don't worry, I'm not quitting my day job to go into poetry.

I love rhubarb. Love. I remember going to visit my Grandma and cutting a big slice of her rhubarb cake (that was usually after having two or three, or six, of her chocolate chip cookies). The tartness of the juicy rhubarb combined with the spongy, cinamonnyness (I know, not a word) of the cake was heaven.

So I was extremely happy when the hub brought back a ginormous bag of rhubarb from the ILs a few weeks ago. In that time I've managed to bake

4 loaves of rhubarb bread
3 strawberry-rhubarb pies
2 rhubarb dump cake desserts

and a partridge in a pear tree...

That was just with the *first* bag of rhubarb. That doesn't include the *second* bag he brought home last weekend from the ILs.

I had a tragedy last night, though. I had an Epic Pie Crust Fail. Epic.

See, from this angle, it doesn't look too bad. A little brown on the edges, but edible, right?

But you get a little farther away and you start to see the problem.
Pie crust isn't supposed to look like that. Pie crust is supposed to be neat.

Step back a little further and it's plan to see this was a huge failure on my part.
Ugh. Bad. Bad bad bad. And I generally pride myself on being an "expert" on making pie crusts. I know what I did wrong, the humidity in our kitchen (it was around 84 degrees *inside* our house last night) combined with over-mixing the lard into the flour made for a not-very-good dough. It was just sticking and falling apart all over the place, and that was with ample flouring of my counter! Meh. Oh well, it doesn't have to look pretty, just taste good, right?

This is what a proper pie crust is supposed to look like:
From last year's post on strawberry-rhubarb pie. I can make a good pie crust, I really can!

Oh well, at least the rhubarb bread turned out nicely!


Mmmmm..... rhubarby, bready, cinnamony goodness!

Now, what to do with that last bag of rhubarb? I'm thinking preserves, even though it's been a loooong time since I've made any sort of preserves, and I've never done rhubarb. There's always a first time for everything right?

I'm pleased to say all the photos (save the stock rhubarb shot and last year's photo of pie) were all taken with my Canon 50mm F/1.8 lens. I survived without my main lens! But I still miss it. Get well soon lens!

1 comment:

kmm0305 said...

Rhubarb--blucky, ucky, yucky stuff! :P