Monday, July 5, 2010

The best chocolate chip cookies in the world

Is there anything better than a homemade chocolate chip cookie, fresh out of the oven? I don't think so.

Unfortunately, not all chocolate chip cookie recipes are created equal. Some make cookies that are too crispy. Some end up too chewy. Some don't have nearly enough chocolate chips in them (a tragedy!)

However, I think I finally found the chocolate chip cookie recipe I can count on.

It's another adapted recipe from the ever useful small town church cookbook.

And it makes the perfect cookie:
Perfect golden brown, loaded with chocolate chips and pecans (optional, of course) and just the right combination of crunchy/chewy. I made these yesterday for our 4th of July supper, and they're almost all gone. I have definitely eaten my fair share today, maybe more.

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie in the World
1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
3 1/2 c. flour
2 t. soda
1 t. salt
1 package chocolate chip (I prefer milk chocolate)
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix together butter and sugars until well combined. Add eggs and vanilla. In separate bowl, stir together flour, soda and salt. Add to butter mixture until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if desired). Drop by spoonful on to baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes, or until just lightly golden brown.

I love that the recipe is basic. It just uses the good stuff: butter, sugar, eggs, flour, soda, salt, etc... There's no oil or crisco or anything (not that those don't make good chocolate chip cookies). The hub *might* say that the chocolate chip to dough ratio is a tad high, but you'll never hear me complain that there's too much chocolate in anything. You can reduce the amount of chocolate chips to 1 cup, though, to cut back on that.

I would go have another one, but I've already had six or seven (or eight, I quit keeping track a while ago) today.

No comments: