Thursday, July 8, 2010

An open letter of apology to my parents

I love my kids. I love them to pieces, but that doesn't mean they don't try my patience and my sanity on a daily basis.

Especially the kidlet. I think her personality is a little too similar to mine. She is strong-willed, stubborn, independent and silly.

See, goofy, goofy girl.

She can go from this:
to this:
in about .03 seconds flat.

(Oh the stink eye. I remember that well. In fact, I think we have many pictures of me giving the stink eye when I'm about the kidlet's age.)

This kid, she's going to give me gray hair, I just know it.

Today, she sat on the steps in our house for five minutes putting on shoes so we could leave to go to daycare. The "conversation" went something like this (and I put conversation in quotes, because there's only so much conversing you do with a 21-month-old who can't verbalize what she's thinking).

Me: Kidlet, do you want to go outside?
Kidlet: Yeah.
Me: Then we need to put on socks and shoes.
Kidlet: No.
Me; Kidlet, do you want to go outside?
Kidlet: (while attempting to put her shoes on - backwards on the wrong foot) Yeah.... (looks up at me with the shoe half on) I did it!!!
Me: Yes you did. Now let's get socks on.
Kidlet: No.


Wash, rinse, repeat. I finally got her socks and shoes on and we went on our merry way, but not without much protest, tears and "NO. I DO IT!" from her.

I'm sorry mom. I finally understand all those times you threatened to make me walk home or said if I kept pouting, my face would get stuck that way.

She's a joy and a delight, but, phew! I fear for the teenage years.

No comments: